Michigan Professional Engineer – FE Exam

Comprised of various agencies, bureaus and commissions that promote safety, protect the health of Michigan’s citizens, supports business growth and job creation, the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) practices a streamlined, simple, fair and efficient regulation to implement the Board’s rules and standards.

The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)  ensures that people who are entering these practices must be able to meet the minimum standards of competency (including passing the FE Exam), and maintain such standards during their practice. The Board makes final licensing decisions and penalize those who violate the licensing laws.

FE Exam Michigan

Board Contact Information:

Website www.michigan.gov/engineers
Name Gloria J. Keene
Email keeneg@michigan.gov
Phone (517) 241-9253
Fax (517) 373-2162
Address P. O. Box 30018 Lansing, MI 48909

Fee Schedule:

Fee for FE/EIT exam application $0
Fee for FE/EIT exam $45
Fee for FE re-exam $45
Fee for EIT certification $0
Fee for EIT certification by comity or transfer of EIT $0
Fee for EIT renewal $0
Frequency of EIT renewal N/A

When can I take the Engineer in Training exam? If you are enrolled in an EAC/ABET accredited engineer program, you can take the exam in your last year before graduating.

What educational programs are accepted for taking the Engineer in Training exam? Any EAC/ABET accredited engineering program.

Are there any programs equivalent to EAC/ABET accepted for taking the Engineer in Training exam? Yes, programs accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board, programs ABET accredits as substantially equivalent, and programs accredited by accrediting bodies from countries signatory to the Washington Accord or listed in ABET publications.

Does the Board accept equivalent Foreign Education? Yes, uses or requires the applicant to use a Foreign Education evaluation service to determine eligibility.

What are acceptable Foreign Evaluation systems: CPEES (Center for Professional Engineering Education Services)

When in the licensing process is an applicant required to obtain a foreign degree evaluation? Prior to taking the Engineer in Training (EIT), FE exam.

What terms are restricted in their usage in the state? Professional Engineer

How does state license Engineers? As a professional engineer, allowed to practice in his/her area(s) of competency, regardless of which discipline of the professional examination was taken for licensure.

Have further questions? Check the Frequently Asked Questions or visit www.michigan.gov/engineers to get the most up to date information

Grab our high-impact EITE Academy 12-part Course


It's nice to meet you! Enroll TODAY in our 12-part EITE Academy Course that lays out the proven framework for aspiring engineers that works, sent directly to your inbox...and IT'S FREE!


Enter your name and email below, and I’ll see you on the inside!